These are but 5 reasons, in no particular order. Everyone has their own top 5 and mine change from time to time.
1. It is ok to work at odd hours of the night. I am a night owl and enjoy the sounds of the dark, the smells of the shadows and the songs of the evening creatures.
2. I don’t have to wear my best whites; after all when I am done they will be pristine no longer.
3. It is ok to improvise some speech. Once I am done with formulas I can sing if I don’t feel like talking, I can use all sort of sounds if I don’t feel like using words my Nganga understands my raw energy.
4. My brotherhood is not fasenda; my Nso keeps regla. I am affirmed in traditions.
5. It is my connection to the universe. No words can ever explain that.
To all Tatas and Yayas out there, what are your top 5 reasons to love and honor our tradition?
Yaya 7 Nkele